10 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for Father's Day that won't Break the Bank
Father’s day is June 17th so do you know what you'll be getting dad yet? Instead of the usual dull gifts, like yet another tie or pair of socks, how about a present that is a little more thoughtful?
Remember that the thought and effort you put into choosing the right gift is much more important than buying the most expensive one. So even if your budget is small (or non-existent) here are some great gift suggestions for you.
Budget = $0
Write a Letter to Let Him Know How Important He Is
Take some time and write him a letter about how much love him. You could include details about:
- Why he’s made such a difference to your life
- What qualities and beliefs you have learned from him
- Happy memories that you have of him.
Take a Walk & Talk
If writing isn’t your style, then go out for a walk with him and tell him how much he means to you.
Get to Know Your Dad Better
Interview your dad to find out more about him and his life. This can be a great way to learn more about your dad and your family history. If you are not sure what to ask, then StoryCorps has some great questions including:
- Do you remember what was going through your head when you first saw me?
- What were the hardest moments you had when I was growing up?
- What advice would you give me about raising my own kids?
- Where did you grow up and what was it like?
- How was your relationship with your parents?
- Did you get into trouble? What was the worst thing you did?
- What is your best memory of childhood? Worst?
- Who were your best friends? What were they like?
- What did you think your life would be like when you were older?
- Do you have any favorite stories from your childhood?
You can just chat and listen or you can record or video-tape the conversation to keep for the future. Either way, you'll create some great memories.
Budget = Under $10
Cook his Favorite Meal
The way to a dad’s heart is often through his stomach, so how about making his favorite meal? The make time to sit down and eat it together.
Bake a Cake
Surprise him with a home baked cake.
If you don’t have much baking experience, try this Chocolate Cake recipe from King Arthur Flour. I've made it many times. It’s really very easy and the result is amazingly delicious!
Budget = Under $20
Create Wall Art or a Photo Book for Him
Do you have some great photos of your Dad? If so, how about creating a photo book or some wall art to showcase them? Shutterfly, Picaboo and Mixbook are some of the companies that offer these services. Don’t forget to Google for any coupons or deals! Some of these services (e.g. Picaboo) even allow you to send a digital copy for nothing.
Help Him Learn a New Skill
If your dad enjoys hobbies like photography, woodworking or cooking, then how about an online class?
Craftsy offers 1,300 different classes and for just $14.99 you can get dad a 1-month subscription. If you sign up for the 7 day free trial, he'll get even more!
Give a Gift He Finds Useful
Maybe he would enjoy a practical present which would remind him of you each time he used it?
Here are some suggestions for less than $20:
Make Him Laugh
Or perhaps your dad would prefer something more fun? Here are some silly gifts that might bring a smile to his face:
If you have other great ideas I hope that you will share them in the Comments below.